Thursday 10 January 2008

Don’t Blame Teachers - It isn’t their fault!

Despite Governments' promises of, “Education, education, education” or, in the USA, “No child left behind”, far too many parents are faced with the problem of their child being let down badly. The temptation is to blame the teacher, they represent education policy to the parents. Of course it isn’t their fault, although it is often difficult to remember this when speaking to them.

In my experience teachers are desperate to help children all they can, they will spend as much time as they can possibly spare, and use all the initiative they can muster. They do feel guilty that they know it is woefully inadequate to get the child to where they need to be in the education process.

So if you are a frustrated parent, please try and remember this when you are talking to the teacher - the current Government policy isn't their fault! They know what is needed and would love to have the time and the resources to spend on your child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always remember having a meeting with Leila's headmaster, teacher and SENCO representative at school.
I knew as soon as I walked in they were on the defensive wondering what I was going to say.
I put my cards on the table about Leila's global difficulties and how she was not making any progress at school. Her headmaster looked at me in frustration and said what do you expect us to do.
My answer to him was there is nothing they could do, they are not miracle workers!!!!
I asked for agreement from them that they would help me in my quest to find an answer for her difficulties.
We turned a point that day working together to help Leila. I found Dore and the school supported us through out and watched her change over that 18 months.
Her brother Kieran is now also doing Dore and I have heard of one other child at the school.
How did her mother hear of Dore, through the SENCO teacher who watched Leila blossom and had always remembered my description about "the fog" which hindered Leila's progress. Ellie XXX

mls said...

I agree that teachers do not have time to devote to one child. I don't blame them for that because they have 20 to 30 other children in their class to teach. In the last 2 years my son has been in school (he is in the 1st grade and is globally delayed) I find that most teachers do not have patients for children with learning disabilities. They tend to label these children as being "difficult" or having "behavioral problems". I DO blame the teacher for being so ignorant to label a child. In kindergarten it took the first 6 months to try to convince these teachers and the Principal that my child is really a good boy. I thank god for his speech teacher that had been working with him since he was 4 years old. She was also trying to convince the teachers and Principal that my son was a good kid. This year has been a lot better. He is mostly in Special Ed classes and that teacher is wonderful. His regular teacher was also a Special Ed teacher. It has been so much easier for my child because she is educated and understands his disabilities. I also blame the school district for not educating every teacher on how to deal with children with these disabilities. It's hard enough having a child struggle in school, the last thing you want to deal with is a teacher/Principal that has no patients for your child. I hope the Dore Programme helps my child because in the last 2 years it has been a continuous battle to get my child the help he needs to succeed.